The “Molecular Biophysics” facility (french acronym: Plate Forme de Biophysique MoleculaIre, PFBMI) federates an ensemble of state-of-the-art instrumentation for the in vitro molecular-scale characterization of biological macromolecules, together with well established technical and methodological expertise. The mission of the PFBMI is to provide an added value to a great variety of biological projects, enabling the characterization of the intrinsic properties of macromolecules and their assemblies (size, shape, folding, stability auto-association,…) and of the interactions in which they are involved (stoichiometry, thermodynamic and kinetic parameters, …).
PFBMI equipments are available for the entire scientific community, in France and abroad, but a priority is given to teams from Institut Pasteur and the Institut Pasteur International Network.
Fields of expertise of the PFBMI :
- Size and shape of macromolecules and their assemblies
- Stoechiometry of macromolecular assemblies
- Secondary and tertiary structures of macromolecules
- Thermodynamic stability of macromolecules
- Kinetic and thermodynamic properties of interactions
Quality control (QC) of purified proteins :
This new service allows you to obtain a full qualitative analysis (QC) of your purified proteins and to help you to identify conditions in which these proteins are best behaved.
The basic analysis will provide you with information about the purity, identity, integrity and homogeneity of your proteins. This will be done using three methods: intact mass spectrometry, UV/Visible spectroscopy and Dynamic Light Scattering.
If needed, we can also provide an electrophoresis profile and a SEC chromatogram of your samples.
Optional supplementary analysis:
- Buffer optimisation: the stability and the solubility of protein samples can be tested in several buffers with different pH and salt compositions.
- Sample storage optimization: best buffer conditions for storage at 4 to -20°C or freeze drying….
- “Lot to lot” consistency
For more information, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can download here a QC submission form
Technologies available at the PFBMI :
- Analytical ultracentrifugation (AUC)
- Circular dichroism (CD)
- Dynamic light scattering (DLS) cuvette or plate reader
- Fluorescence spectroscopy (steady state or stopped flow)
- Microcalorimetry (ITC and DSC)
- Microscale Thermophoresis (MST) LabelFree or NT115
- Real-time biosensing: surface plasmon resonance (SPR: Biacore T200 & Biorad Proteon XPR36) and biolayer interferometry (BLI: Octet Red 384)
- Static multi-angle light scattering (SLS, MALS)
- Taylor dispersion and viscometry
- Differential Scanning Fluorimetry (NanoDSF)
The PFBMI also provides privileged access to instrumentation installed in other Institut Pasteur research units or in the Synchrotron SOLEIL:
- Electrophoretic mobility
- Infrared spectroscopy (FTIR)
- Small-Angle X-ray Scattering (SAXS): SOLEIL SWING beamline
To submit a project to the PFBMI, please send an e-mail to “email@example.com” together with a completed submission form. After having discussed with the PFBMI team about the project feasibility and the appropriate experimental strategy, you will be required to complete a “sample information form“.
Pricing : services are charged according to the joined chart
The PFBMI initiated in 2014 a new pan European network of molecular-scale biophysics core facilities, infrastructures and resource laboratories: ARBRE-MOBIEU (Association of Resources for Biophysical Research in Europe / Molecular Biophysics in Europe). Since 2016, ARBRE-MOBIEU is a COST Action, coordinated by P. England.