Antibodies in Therapy & Pathology (INSERM UMR 1222): focus on Allergy, Autoimmunity and Immunotherapy
Antibodies are key effectors of the immune system. They are responsible for disease induction (autoimmunity, allergy) and can be protecting from or facilitating infections and tumors. Antibodies are secreted by terminally differentiated B cells, plasmablasts and plasma cells. Antibodies do not generally exert by themselves, however, biological functions: these are mainly mediated by antibody receptors (FcRs) and complement component C1q.
1) Decipher the role of human antibodies, human antibody receptors (FcRs) and the cells expressing them (neutrophils, monocytes/macrophages, platelets, mast cells, basophils), and human complement during therapy and in the induction of pathologies (severe allergy & autoimmunity), using primarily mouse models “humanized” for these components.
2) Establish high-throughput plasma cell screening, analysis and/or sorting using droplet microfluidics technologies to understand the antibody response, repertoire and affinities, and demonstrate the pathogenic nature of antibodies in specific diseases .
4) Develop novel antibody-based therapeutics
Altogether, our research integrating fundamental, clinical and industry-driven approaches, aims at elucidating the role of antibodies, their receptors and the cells expressing them in major disease and therapy models and, hopefully, propose novel therapeutic solutions in antibody-based therapies.
- RECENT HIGHLIGHTS
- An engineered human Fc domain that behaves like a pH-toggle switch for ultra-long circulation persistence. Lee CH, … , Bruhns P, Georgiou G. Nat Commun. 2019 Nov 26.
- An IgG-induced neutrophil activation pathway contributes to human drug-induced anaphylaxis. Jönsson F & de Chaisemartin L et al. Sci Transl Med. 2019
- Evidence that neutrophils do not promote Echis carinatus venom-induced tissue destruction. Stackowicz J, et al. Nat Commun. 2018
- Platelets expressing IgG receptor FcγRIIA/CD32A determine the severity of experimental anaphylaxis. Beutier H, et al. Sci Immunol. 2018
- Single-cell deep phenotyping of IgG-secreting cells for high-resolution immune monitoring. Eyer K, et al. Nature Biotech 2017
- IgG Fc domains that bind C1q but not effector Fcγ receptors delineate the importance of complement-mediated effector functions. Lee CH et al, Nature Immunol 2017
Neutrophil myeloperoxidase diminishes the toxic effects and mortality induced by lipopolysaccharide. Reber LL and Gillis CM et al, J Exp Med 2017