Topics of research
- The development of epidemiological models to study viral dynamics in bat colonies and in dog populations together with comprehensive viral phylodynamics studies using the combination of phylogenetic and coalescent approaches to connect the historical process of dog and bat lyssavirus evolution with different epidemiological parameters of interest.
- The study of the patterns and variation of within-host viral diversification according to host species to understand the role of virus evolution during adaptation.
- The analysis of the interplay between host cells and lyssaviruses, to undesrtand how viral proteins modulate cellular transduction pathways and innate immunity.
- The study of the replication complex of Mononegavirales to develop new drugs intervening in viral replication.
- The analysis of epidemiology and aetiologies of acute human encephalitis to identify unknown or unusual viral agents