Graduated in Pharmaceutical Sciences at Faculdade de Farmácia da Universidade do Porto in 2010, I completed my PhD degree in Microbiology in the same institution in July 2017. The work performed during my PhD sought to elucidate the molecular basis for the expansion of main multidrug resistant (MDR) bacterial pathogens (especially Klebsiella pneumoniae) by a multidisciplinary approach including conventional genotypic, phenotypic, and molecular tools and some of the most cutting-edge high-throughput omics (genomics, metabolomics, proteomics) approaches. On the behalf of my PhD, I have been awarded with the Young Investigation Award – Isabel Spencer Martins by Portuguese Society of Microbiology in 2017. Currently, I am working within the BEBP Unit at the Institut Pasteur, on the MEDVETKLEBS project where we are developing and harmonizing detection and strain culture methods for K. pneumoniae, organizing a broad sampling of ecological niches and of potential sources of this bacterium in order to perform genomics analysis and transmission modeling, including development of new methods for source attribution and risk assessment.
KlebNet: a One Health network bridging science and surveillance on antimicrobial resistant Klebsiella
Join us on Google groups! KlebNET e-mail distribution list on Google groups. Please ask for registration, by explaining your interest in Klebsiella research or surveillance and providing your institution, so that the moderators can […]
MedVetKlebs: Klebsiella pneumoniae from ecology to source attribution and transmission control
Klebsiella pneumoniae (hereafter, K. pneumoniae) is a major cause of hospital-acquired infections such as urinary infections, pneumonia, bloodstream infections, infections in newborns and in intensive-care unit patients. Some hypervirulent strains also cause community infections […]
Population biology of the bacterial pathogen Klebsiella pneumoniae
Klebsiella pneumoniae is one of the most urgent threats to public health given its increasing resistance to antimicrobial agents including carbapenems, considered as last-resort antibiotics. In this project we aim to understand the ecological, epidemiological and […]
- Andrade L, Novais Â, Stegani L, Ferreira J, Rodrigues C, Darini AL, Peixe L. 2018. Virulence genes, capsular and plasmid types of multidrug-resistant CTX-M(-2, -8, -15) and KPC-2-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates from four major hospitals in Brazil. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. DOI: 10.1016/j.diagmicrobio.2018.01.007.
- Mendes AC, Novais Â, Campos J, Rodrigues C, Santos C, Antunes P, Ramos H, Peixe L. 2018. mcr-1in carbapenemase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae with hospitalized patients, Portugal, 2016–2017. Emerg Infect Dis. 24(4):762-766. https://dx.doi.org/10.3201/eid2404.171787.
- Rodrigues C, Machado E, Fernandes S, Peixe L, Novais Â. 2017. Different Escherichia coli B2-ST131 clades (B and C) producing extended-spectrum β-lactamases (ESBL) colonizing residents of Portuguese nursing homes. 2017. Epidemiol Infect. 145(15):3303-3306. DOI: 10.1017/S0950268817002266.
- Rodrigues C, Mendes AC, Sima F, Bavlovič J, Machado E, Novais Â, Peixe L. 2017. Long-term care facility (LTCF) residents colonized with multidrug-resistant (MDR) Klebsiella pneumoniae lineages frequently causing infections in Portuguese clinical institutions. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 38(9):1127-1130. DOI: 10.1017/ice.2017.144.
- Rodrigues C, Novais Â, Sousa C, Ramos H, Coque TM, Cantón R, Lopes JA, Peixe L. 2017. Elucidating constraints for differentiation of major human Klebsiella pneumoniae clones using MALDI-TOF MS. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 36(2):379-386. DOI:10.1007/s10096-016-2812-8.
- Rodrigues C, Bavlovič J, Machado E, Amorim J, Peixe L, Novais Â. 2016. KPC-3-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in Portugal linked to previously circulating non-CG258 lineages and uncommon genetic platforms (Tn4401d-IncFIA and Tn4401d-IncN). Front Microbiol. 7:1000. DOI: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.01000.
- Czobor I, NovaisÂ, Rodrigues C, Chifiriuc MC, Mihăescu G, Lazăr V, Peixe 2016. Efficient transmission of IncFIIY and IncL plasmids and Klebsiella pneumoniae ST101 clone producing OXA-48, NDM-1 or OXA-181 in Bucharest hospitals. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 48(2):223-4. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2016.05.004.
- Rodrigues C, Machado E, Fernandes S, Peixe L, Novais Â. 2016. An update on faecal carriage of ESBL-producing Enterobacteriaceae by Portuguese healthy humans: detection of the H30 subclone of B2-ST131 Escherichia coli producing CTX-M-27. J Antimicrob Chemother. 71(4):1120-2. DOI: 10.1093/jac/dkv443.
- Constança AC, Rodrigues C, Pires J, Amorim J, Ramos H, Novais Â, Peixe L. 2016. Importation of fosfomycin resistance fosA3 gene to Europe. Emerg Infect Dis. 22(2):346-8. DOI: 10.3201/eid2202.
- Rodrigues C, Machado E, Pires J, Novais Â, Peixe L. 2015. Increase of widespread A, B1 and D Escherichia coli clones producing a high-diversity of CTX-M-types in a Portuguese hospital. Future Microbiol. 10(7):1125-31. DOI: 10.2217/FMB.15.38.
- Gheorghe I, Novais Â, Grosso F, Rodrigues C, Balotescu M, Lazăr V, Peixe L. 2015. Snapshot on carbapenemase-producing Pseudomonas aeruginosa and Acinetobacter baumannii in Bucharest hospitals reveals unusual clones and novel genetic surroundings for blaOXA-23. J Antimicrob Chemother. 70(4):1016-20. DOI: 10.1093/jac/dku527.
- Rodrigues C, Machado E, Peixe L, Novais Â. 2014. Expansion of ESBL-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae in hospitalized patients: a successful story of international clones (ST15, ST147, ST336) and epidemic plasmids (IncR, IncFIIK). Int J Med Microbiol. 304(8):1100–1108. DOI: 10.1016/j.ijmm.2014.08.003.
- Rodrigues C, Novais Â, Machado E, Peixe L. 2014. Detection of VIM-34, a novel VIM-1 variant identified in the intercontinental ST15 Klebsiella pneumoniae J Antimicrob Chemother. 69(1):274-5. DOI: 10.1093/jac/dkt314.
- Rodrigues C, Machado E, Peixe L, Novais Â. 2013. IncI1/ST3 and IncN/ST1 plasmids drive the spread of blaTEM-52 and blaCTX-M-1/-32 in diverse Escherichia coli clones from different piggeries. J Antimicrob Chemother. 68(10):2245-8. DOI: 10.1093/jac/dkt187.
- Novais Â, Rodrigues C, Branquinho R, Antunes P, Grosso F, Boaventura L, Ribeiro G, Peixe L. 2012. Spread of an OmpK36-modified ST15 Klebsiella pneumoniae variant during an outbreak involving multiple carbapenem-resistant Enterobacteriaceae species and clones. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 31(11):3057-63. DOI: 10.1007/s10096-012-1665-z.
- Poirel L, Castanheira M, Carrër A, Rodrigues C, Jones RN, Smayevsky J, Nordmann P. 2011. OXA-163, an OXA-48-related class D ß-lactamase with an extended activity toward expanded-spectrum cephalosporins. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 55(6):2546-51. DOI: 10.1128/AAC.00022-11.