Sébastien Brier hold an Engineer degree in Biology from Polytech Clermont-Ferrand, and received his Ph.D. in Structural Proteomics at the group of Dr. Eric Forest in 2005 in Grenoble, developing HDX-MS approaches to study the binding of small inhibitors to human mitotic kinesins. He completed postdoctoral work at the Barnett Institute of Chemical Biology in Boston in the group of Professor John. R. Engen, and at the CNRS in Paris, France. In 2009, He was appointed research investigator at Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics in Siena, Italy, to create a HDX-MS platform dedicated to the structural analysis of protein vaccines . In Autumn 2012 He came back to Paris as a research associate in Structural Proteomics at Stallergenes, working on the use of the HDX technology to map IgE epitopes on natural allergens to optimize the design of recombinant vaccines. Currently, Sébastien has implemented and manages the HDX-MS platform at Institut Pasteur in Paris working on membrane-associated proteins involved in infectious disease.
We are interested in investigating the effects of molecular crowding, i.e., excluded volume effects, mimicking the effects of high concentrations of macromolecular solutes found in biological fluids on biochemical properties of proteins. In particular, […]
In solution conformation of the SigmaS subunit of RNA polymerase
There is no tridimentional structure available for free sigma factors. We have recently probed the conformation of SigmaS in solution by analytical ultracentrifugation, small angle X-ray scattering and Hydrogen-Deuterium exchange coupled with mass spectrometry.
CyaA secretion, folding and translocation across membrane
CyaA, a 1706 residue-long protein, is one of the major virulence factors produced by B. pertussis and plays an important role in the early stages of respiratory tract colonization. This toxin uses an original […]
Development of a new statistical tool for the analysis of large HDX-MS data sets
Hydrogen Deuterium eXchange followed by Mass Spectrometry (HDX-MS) is a recognized biophysical tool in structural biology capable of probing protein/ligand interactions, conformational changes, and protein folding and dynamics. The use of improved HDX-MS workflows […]
MEMHDX – Mixed Effects Models for HDX experiments
This tool allows users to perform an automated workflow to analyze, validate and visualize large HDX-MS datasets. The input file is the output of DynamX software from Waters. Output files provide a plot of […]
- Nov. 2013 to present: Permanent Research Engineer in Structural Proteomics (HDX-MS) – Structural Mass Spectrometry and Proteomics Unit – Institut Pasteur – Paris – France
- 2011-2013: Permanent Research Engineer in Structural Proteomics -Stallergenes – Antony – France
- 2009-2011: Research Associate – Nathalie Norais Group – Novartis Vaccines and Diagnostics – Siena – Italy
- 2007-2008: Postdoctoral fellow – Daniel Regis Group – CNRS – Univeristé Evry Val d’Essonne – France
- 2006-2007: Postdoctoral Research Associate – Prof. John R. Engen Group – The Barnett Institute – Northeastern University – Boston – USA
- 2005: Ph.D in Structural Biology and NanoBiology (C.E.A / CNRS) – Eric Forest Group – Institut de Biologie Stucturale J.P.Ebel – Grenoble – France.
- 2002: D.E.A Génétique et Physiologie Moléculaires – Université de Clermont-Ferrand II – France
- 2002: Engineer Degree in Biology (Polytech Clermont Ferrand (C/U/S/T)) – Clermont Ferrand – France
- 1999: BSc (HONS) Applied Biochemistry with second class honour, grade 1– University of Central Lancashire – Preston – United Kingdom
2017SEC-SAXS and HDX-MS: A powerful combination. The case of the calcium-binding domain of a bacterial toxin, Biotechnol. Appl. Biochem. 2017 Aug;.
2017Prepore Stability Controls Productive Folding of the BAM-independent Multimeric Outer Membrane Secretin PulD., J Biol Chem. 2017 Jan 6;292(1):328-338..
2017Structure and allosteric inhibition of excitatory amino acid transporter 1, Nature 2017 04;544(7651):446-451.
2016Prepore Stability Controls Productive Folding of the BAM-independent Multimeric Outer Membrane Secretin PulD, J. Biol. Chem. 2017 Jan;292(1):328-338.
2016Proteomics for Allergy: from Proteins to the Patients, Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 2016 Sep;16(9):64.
2016MEMHDX: an interactive tool to expedite the statistical validation and visualization of large HDX-MS datasets, Bioinformatics 2016 Nov;32(22):3413-3419.
2016Molecular Basis of Ligand-Dependent Regulation of NadR, the Transcriptional Repressor of Meningococcal Virulence Factor NadA, PLoS Pathog. 2016 Apr 22;12(4).
2015Structural models of intrinsically disordered and calcium-bound folded states of a protein adapted for secretion, Sci Rep 2015 Sep;5:14223.
2015Neisseria meningitis GNA1030 is a ubiquinone-8 binding protein, FASEB J. 2015 Jun;29(6):2260-7.
2013Two cross-reactive monoclonal antibodies recognize overlapping epitopes on Neisseria meningitidis factor H binding protein but have different functional properties, FASEB J. 2014 Apr;28(4):1644-53.
+View full list of publications