Experience: A minimum of 2 years in the field of proteomics and mass spectrometry
Required degree: Master or PhD in analytical chemistry, or biochemistry with a specialization in mass spectrometry/proteomics
Duration: 2 years contract
Institut Pasteur is a private non-profit foundation. Its mission is to contribute to the prevention and treatment of diseases, mainly those of infectious origin, through research, teaching and public health initiatives.
The Mass Spectrometry for Biology Unit (MSBio) is a joint Institut Pasteur/CNRS unit headed by Julia Chamot-Rooke. The unit proposes research and service activities in proteomics. The research group carries out innovative methodological developments in top-down proteomics and structural proteomics (covalent cross-linking coupled to mass spectrometry, native mass spectrometry). The proteomics platform integrated in the unit and headed by Mariette Matondo is providing services and scientific collaborations in mass spectrometry-based proteomics. The overall objective of the platform is to develop innovative bottom-up proteomics strategies to address protein function, regulation, and dynamic interactions, in particular in the context of infectious diseases.
The proposed project will be carried out in close collaboration with an industrial company to identify potential antigens for the development of candidate vaccines.
We seek for a motivated and dynamic research engineer to carry out the entire analytical process from protein sample processing, Mass Spectrometry analysis, to bioinformatics and statistical analysis of the data. A combination of quantitative proteomic approaches, including global and targeted proteomic analyses, will be implemented for this project.
In addition, the engineer will be co-responsible for mass spectrometers and as such will be expected to maintain them at the state of the art. As the MSBio unit is ISO9001 certified, he/she will contribute to the implementation of procedures to meet the requirements of the standard.
The ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about contributing their expertise, eager to expand their skill sets, and conduct research in a multidisciplinary and international environment.
- Execute biochemical analyses such as protein extraction, quantification, subcellular fractionation, enrichment methods, gel and gel-free protein separation.
- Perform sample preparation prior to mass spectrometry-based proteomics, including optimization of protocols and set-up of conditions. Perform sample processing for bottom-up workflows, including enzymatic digestion, peptide desalting, fractionation, or enrichment if necessary.
- Perform mass spectrometry based proteomic data analysis generated
- Utilize multiple MS acquisition methods to measure, identify and quantify peptides and proteins.
- Perform data analysis and statistical analysis, integrate data, evaluate results, highlight key findings and write reports.
- Interact and collaborate with other team members as necessary, such as bioinformaticians or scientists involved in the project.
- Contribute to laboratory maintenance, performing general tasks ranging from preparing materials, reagents, or inventory to assisting with equipment functionality checks or basic organizational tasks.
- Stay current on the scientific literature and use it to develop new methodologies for interrogating proteomics and mass spectrometry data.
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations at internal or external meetings.
- Participate into publication writing
- M.Sc or Ph.D. in biochemistry/analytical sciences or related field with 2 years of relevant experience
- Expertise in biochemical protocols, sample preparation/processing, and protein/peptide-based workflows.
- Hands-on experience with LC-MS/MS instruments is desirable.
- Previous experience with proteomics sample preparation, subcellular fractionation strategies, different quantification methods (e.g. TMT, LFQ).
- Expertise in targeted proteomic pipeline (e.g. PRM, DIA) and analysis (e.g. Skyline, Spectronaut) would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of proteomic analysis software (e.g. MaxQuant, MSFragger) and querying raw data from mass spectrometry.
- Familiarity with analysis of large data sets, including working knowledge of a coding language such as R, will be a plus.
- Excellent communication and interaction skills and strong collaborative attitude.
- Intellectual curiosity and strong work ethics.
- Self-starter, attention to detail, accuracy, and ability to work independently to solve technical problems.
- Ability to multi-task without compromising quality and accuracy.
- Excellent knowledge of English
Applicants should send their CV and cover letter to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org