The origin, risks, diagnosis, epidemiology of resistance to antibacterial agents in man and livestock worlwide, as well as preventive and countermeasures, in a « one health » perspective.
In 2016, the WHO estimated that if no action is taken, by 2050, 10 million people could die each year from antibiotic-resistant infections. This led it to declare that the emergence and spread of bacteria resistant to antibacterial agents was “a growing threat to public health worldwide, requiring action across all sectors and throughout society”. The MOOC Resistance to Antibacterial Agents addresses the major public health problem of the emergence of multi-drug resistant bacteria, responsible for increased morbidity and mortality of a wide range of bacterial infections.
This MOOC aims to provide basic knowledge on the origin and spread of resistance to antibacterial agents, its identification, and its consequences. It shows the epidemiology of resistance in humans, animals and the environment. It addresses the concepts to control it, in a “one health” perspective. Finally, this MOOC tries to highlight the alternatives to antibiotics, the latest molecules available and the molecules under development.
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain how antibiotic resistance emerges and spreads, and its dramatic consequences.
- Describe the epidemiology of resistance in humans, animals and the environment.
- Apply laboratory methods for diagnosis and identification of antibiotic resistance.
- Follow recommendations to prevent the emergence of resistance in humans and farm animals through better control of antibiotic prescribing.
- Examine ways of replacing antibiotics or bringing new molecules of antibacterial agents onto the market.
This MOOC is part of the Online Diploma of infectious Diseases of the Institut Pasteur DNM2IP.
Enrollment: From November 15, 2022 to March 7, 2023
Course: From January 10, 2023 to March 14, 2023
Languages: The videos are in English, with English and French subtitles.
More courses on: https://www.fun-mooc.fr/en/etablissements/institut-pasteur/