We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our Structural Biology team as a specialist to lead and support our cryo-EM, high-resolution SPA and cryo-electron tomography efforts.
• Cryo-EM image sample screening and data acquisition;
• Sample preparation with vitrobot and manual plunger-freezers;
• Operation and maintenance of cryo-EM-related ancillary equipment;
• Training, assisting, and overseeing team members in cryo-EM sample preparation;
• Developing and implementing efficient strategies for cryo-EM sample preparation and data collection;
• Participating in the development and implementation of new methods/techniques in cryoEM;
• Managing the unit’s cryo-EM supplies including, but not limited to, organizing the labs, ordering supplies, keeping records, writing reports, and other activities as assigned.
The successful applicant will work in a stimulating academic and cultural environment, and will have the opportunity to contribute as an author to manuscripts. The unit is equipped with cell culture, molecular biology, light and cryo-CLEM technology, as well as will have access to the newly established Nanoimaging Core at Institut Pasteur, headed by Matthijn Vos. The state-of the-art core houses a 300kV Titan Krios equipped with a K3 direct electron detector and energy filter for high resolution structural studies of biological molecules in situ, 2 screening 200 kV Glacios electron microscopes, as well as one Aquilos and all required ancillary equipment for cellular cryo-ET sample preparation.
• Strong Hands-on experience in negative stain and cryo-EM sample preparation techniques
• Strong Hands-on experience in operation of vitrobot or equivalent, manual plungers and other related equipment in biological electron microscopy;
• Hands-on experience in operation of electron cryo TEMs (120, or FEG) microscopes for data acquisition;
• Hands-on experience in usage of cryo-EM data acquisition software EPU, Serial EM a plus;
• Bachelor’s degree in a biological science, chemistry, physics or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been attained;
• Requires a minimum of 5+ years of directly related experience to cryo-EM sample preparation.
• Candidates with a master’s degree, a minimum of 3+ years is required.
• The ability to independently characterize and troubleshoot negatively stained and cryo-EM sample preparations;
• The ability to rapidly learn new protocols and process obtained data;
• The ability to work independently as well as in a team environment;
• Ability to work on multiple challenging tasks in a rapidly-paced environment;
• Strong analytical, time management, organizational, and interpersonal skills;
• Excellent verbal/written English communication and skills.
Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Ready to join a team that is always innovating because we believe anything is possible? Our research team develops, employs and combines electron cryo-microscopy and cellular tomography with biophysical and computational approaches to allow direct visualization and quantification of macromolecular assemblies in 3D while in their native cellular environment. To join the Structural Studies of Macromolecular Machines in cellula Unit (Pr. Hanein) apply now at: email@example.com