To strengthen its basic research in entomology, and to improve its preparedness to respond to newly emerging infectious agents, Institut Pasteur calls for applications by outstanding young scientists to head a Young Investigator’s Group.
The successful junior candidate* will be appointed on the basis of a tenured track position, as head of a group of 6 persons in the newly-created Amazonian Vectopole of the Institut Pasteur of French Guiana, city of Cayenne (http://www.pasteur-cayenne.fr/la-recherche/nos-equipes/uem/vectopole/). This group will be created for a period of 5 years and may thereafter compete for a full research group. It will also be affiliated to the Laboratory of Excellence (LabEx) “Integrative Biology of Emerging Infectious Diseases” (http://www.pasteur.fr/labex/ibeid).
Priority topics include basic and translational entomology, insect microbiota and vector competences. However, all aspects of medical entomology will be considered, and outstanding candidates with an ambitious and original basic research project and taste for translational research are strongly encouraged to apply.
A highly attractive package matching the experience of the successful candidate will be provided, including salaries (principal investigator, technician, post-doctoral fellowship), a substantial contribution to laboratory equipment and to annual running costs, as well as support for relocation expenses.
The deadline for applications is February 15th, 2016. Short-listed candidates will be invited in Paris for interview in April 2016 and decisions will be announced by the end of June 2016.
Candidates should send their formal applications by E-mail to the Director of Scientific Evaluation, Prof. Alain Israël, at Institut Pasteur (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The Application shall comprise the following information (in order), in a single pdf file:
- A brief introductory letter of motivation, including the name of the proposed group [candidates are encouraged to contact the coordinators of the LabEx, Pascale Cossart (email@example.com) or Philippe Sansonetti (firstname.lastname@example.org)].
- A Curriculum Vitae and a full publication list.
- A description of past and present research activities (up to 5 pages with 1.5 spacing, Times 11 font size).
- The proposed research project (up to 6 pages with 1.5 spacing, Times 11 font size) highlighting how it would fit in the defined topic.
- The names of 3 scientists from whom letters of recommendation can be sought, together with the names of scientists with a potential conflict of interest from whom evaluations should not be requested.
* Institut Pasteur is an equal opportunity employer. Junior group leaders should be less than 8 years after PhD at the time of submission. Women are eligible up to 11 years after their PhD if they have one child and up to 14 years after their PhD if they have two or more children.