A computational biologist/biostatistician position is open at Institut Pasteur, an internationally renowned research institute in the center of Paris, France. The successful candidate will work in the Systems Biology lab (see also http://systemsbiology.fr), which develops and applies computational models for the understanding and therapy of complex disease on the basis of heterogeneous genome-scale data sets. The highly international and interdisciplinary environment of the Systems Biology Lab and Institut Pasteur is conducive for developing a large spectrum of skills at the interface between data-driven computational biology and biomedical applications.
The HERCULES Systems Medicine project
(http://hercules-project.eu) brings together ten research groups and one company from eight different organizations across Europe with expertise in first-hand clinical care of ovarian cancer patients, tumor cell biology, systems medicine, drug response modeling, single-cell sequencing methodologies, biological network modeling, and development of diagnostic systems for clinical use. Bioinformatics and data analysis are an integral part of the project, and the participation of multiple strong computer science and mathematical partners ensures that the large amounts of data generated in the project can be interpreted productively.
The candidate will have to:
- Understand the biological and clinical datasets and questions,
- define the most appropriate statistical data analysis approaches,
- carry out statistical analyses of high-throughput data (drug effects, network modeling, etc.),
- communicate the results in meetings, scientific seminars, conferences and articles.
The development of innovative data analysis methodology will be encouraged.
- A recent PhD in computational biology, statistics, or bioinformatics,
- good theoretical knowledge in multidimensional data analysis (exploratory and regression data analysis, automated classification methods),
- practical experience with statistical high-throughput data analysis in molecular biology,
- documented experienced in scientific programming,
- a strong interest in molecular and cancer biology,
- excellent communication skills, team spirit, and the capacity to work autonomously and deliver results on time.
We offer an initial two-year contract with possibility of extension.
Candidates should send, in PDF format:
- A letter of motivation,
- reprints of their main publications, and
- three references with e-mail address and phone number.