EMBRIC is designed to propose integrated multidisciplinary value chains of services for the exploration of marine bioresources and their sustainable exploitation as sources of biomolecules and/or as whole organisms for food. The cluster unites RIs that provide access to the full spectrum of diversity of marine organisms (EMBRC) or are specialized in the provision of specific groups of organisms (MIRRI: prokaryotes and fungi; AQUAEXCEL: finfish). Using these biological resources as raw materials, the cluster will develop service-oriented workflows for natural products discovery and for genetic selection in aquaculture. EU-OPENSCREEN contributes its services and expertise in the area of natural product discovery, while AQUAEXCEL does likewise in the aquaculture domain. ELIXIR provides cross-cutting expertise on data services and management. The cluster also includes the coordinator of the social sciences Integrating Activity project RISIS, specialized in the analysis of innovation ecosystems across Europe, which will be involved in establishing the technology transfer identity of EMBRIC. Case studies are designed to help testing and refining these workflows through Joint Development Activities (JDAs). This internal testing will be complemented by providing access to EMBRIC services to external user communities in the second half of the projects lifetime.
- strengthen the connection of science with industry by engaging companies and by federating technology transfer (TT) services;
- defragment RDI policies and involve maritime regions with the construction of EMBRIC.
- Acceleration of the pace of scientific discovery and innovation from marine bioresources will be achieved through:
- establishment of multidisciplinary service-oriented technological workflows
- joint development activities focusing on bioprospection for novel marine natural products and marker-assisted selection in aquaculture
- training and knowledge transfer
- pilot transnational access to cluster facilities and services