Research fellow – chargé de recherche
2011-2016 Institut Pasteur and Centre de Recherche Institut de la Vision – Paris (France)
- Characterization of the role of photoreceptor calyceal processes in the retinal dysfunction of Usher Syndrome (USH) type 1, a severe form of inherited deaf-blindness.
- Generation of an amphibian animal model of USH1 and development of the appropriate analytical approaches (electroretinographic recordings, imaging).
Staff Research Associate
2007-2010 David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA – Los Angeles, CA
- Study of retinal photoreceptor ribbon synapses by conical electron tomography.
- Set up and management of conical electron tomography platform.
- Day-to-day management of electron microscopy laboratory; preparation and analysis of biological specimens.
2001-2007 David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA – Los Angeles, CA
- Study of the role of cysteine string proteins and unconventional myosins in regulated exocytosis, using molecular, biochemical and cell based approaches.
1998-2001 IDI-IRCCS and University of Rome “Tor Vergata”, Rome (Italy)
- Study of the role of VEGF-like growth factors in skin and melanoma angiogenesis, by means of molecular, biochemical and cell based approaches.
Ph.D., Biology and Physiopathology
2001 University of Rome “Tor Vergata”, Rome (Italy)
B.Sc. with honors, Biological Sciences
1996 University of Rome “La Sapienza”, Rome (Italy)
- Research: identification of research goals; experimental design; project management.
- Teamwork: performed experimental procedures autonomously and with others; supervised and directed co-workers in order to achieve research goals.
- Flexibility and problem solving: developed and adopted multiple experimental approaches to answer scientific questions.
- Communication and presentation skills: writing of research articles and design of scientific figures; presentation of results at conferences and internal seminars.
- Standard techniques of molecular biology (DNA, RNA) and analytical biochemistry.
- Cell culture: mammalian primary cultures and cell lines.
- In vivo: laboratory mice; Xenopus (microinjection, electroporation, electroretinography).
- Imaging: preparation of specimens and imaging (confocal fluorescence microscopy, SEM, TEM, electron tomography); immunohistochemistry and immunoelectron microscopy.
- Computing: Windows, Mac and Linux platforms; Office and Adobe suites; statistical software; imaging and 3D visualization software (ImageJ, Amira).
- Languages: Italian (native); English (excellent); French (good, niveau B2 CERCL); Russian (elementary).
Sahly I*, Dufour E*, Schietroma C*, Michel V*, Bahloul A, Perfettini I, Pepermans E, Estivalet A, Carette D, Aghaie A, Ebermann I, Lelli A, Iribarne M, Hardelin JP, Weil D, Sahel JA, El-Amraoui A, Petit C (2012) Localization of Usher 1 proteins to the photoreceptor calyceal processes, which are absent from mice. Journal of Cell Biology 199(2): 381-399
*Equally contributing authors
Zampighi GA, Schietroma C, Zampighi LM, Woodruff M, Wright EM, Brecha NC (2011) Conical tomography of a ribbon synapse: structural evidence for vesicle fusion. PLoS One. 6(3): e16944
Schietroma C, Fain N, Zampighi LM, Lanzavecchia S, Zampighi GA (2008) The structure of the cytoplasm of lens fibers as determined by conical tomography. Experimental Eye Reserach 88 (3): 566-74
Schietroma C, Yu HY, Wagner MC, Umbach JA, Bement WM, Gundersen CB (2007) A role for myosin 1e in cortical granule exocytosis in Xenopus oocytes. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 282 (40): 29504-13
Sokac AM, Schietroma C, Gundersen CB, Bement WB (2006) Myosin 1c couples assembling actin to membrane to drive compensatory endocytosis. Developmental Cell, 11 (5): 629-640
Schietroma C, Cianfarani F, Lacal PM, Odorisio T, Orecchia A, Kanikatis J, D’Atri S, Failla CM, Zambruno G (2003) Vascular endothelial growth factor-C expression correlates with lymph node localization of human melanoma metastases. Cancer, 98 (4): 789-797.
Schietroma C, Parain K, Estivalet A, Aghaie A, Duhamel L, Perron M, El-Amraoui A, Petit C (2016)
Photoreceptor calyceal processes require Protocadherin-15 and function in shaping the outer segment.
Sheets K, Schietroma C, Zampighi G, Brecha N (2015) Light Modulates Omega Figure Density in Cone Photoreceptor Synaptic Terminals at Non-Ribbon, but not Ribbon, Locations. (Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2015 56: E-Abstract 1715)
Schietroma C et al. (2012) Localization of Usher 1 proteins to the calycal processes of primate and amphibian, but not rodent, photoreceptors. (52nd ASCB Annual Meeting)
Zampighi GA, Schietroma C, Zampighi LM, and Brecha N (2010) 3D-Structure of Light- and Dark-Adapted Rod Photoreceptors. (Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 2010 51: E-Abstract 1879)