A postdoctoral position with 24 months of funding is available immediately for an advanced scientist in audiology, biophysics or neurosciences at the Centre for Research and Innovation in Humans (CERIAH) codirected by Professor Paul Avan and Professor Hung Thai-Van at the Institut de l’Audition, Institut Pasteur, in Paris, France.
We are seeking an outstanding, highly motivated postdoctoral fellow for a project on fine characterization of vestibular impairments by developing an innovative set of objective vestibular measurements in humans.
The goal of this large-scale project is to improve the early detection of age-related vestibular dysfunction to better manage its effects on public health. The vestibular impairments associated with other auditive traits will also be explored (for hearing loss or in musicians for example).
Institut de l’Audition and CERIAH
The Institut de l’Audition (Hearing Institute) is an interdisciplinary research institute with the objective of promoting integrative approaches to basic auditory neuroscience, developing innovative diagnostic tools for prevention and treatment of hearing disabilities. The Institut de l’Audition brings together world-renowned researchers in fields as diverse as neurophysiology, computational neuroscience, auditory cognition, genetics and genomics, cell biology and gene therapy. Most teams associate fundamental researchers and MDs and conduct research protocols applicable to humans with clinicians as co-investigators.
The Institut de l’Audition, located in the centre of Paris is hosting the Centre for Research and Innovation in Humans (CERIAH), dedicated to the conduct of research protocols on human volunteers (excluding clinical trials for drugs). Providing a very complete set of state-of-the-art equipment, dedicated staff composed of researchers with complementary skills: audiologists, engineers and project manager and know-how in all the auditory science domains, the CERIAH aims to increase the understanding of hearing problems, with a view to developing personalized medicine.
The postdoctoral fellow will work on several ongoing projects of the CERIAH, in collaboration with academics and industrials aiming to better understand the mechanisms of age-related vestibular dysfunction in relation with specific genotypes.
- First, the candidate will have to master the basic exploration tools of the inner ear systems, namely ocular and cervical Vestibular Evoked Myogenic Potentials, Video Head Impulse Tests and caloric tests,
- The candidate will also participate to the data collection in several hundreds of participants with age-related hearing loss, in collaboration with a European research group and the experts of the CERIAH,
- From this data, the challenge for the candidate will be to identify phenotype patterns corresponding to groups of genotype mutations,
- In addition, the candidate will have the opportunity to participate in the elaboration of additional protocols (methods and set-up) of the CERIAH including participants with specific auditive abilities or dysfunctions.
- A PhD in physics, biophysics, biology, neurosciences or related field is required,
- Experience in audiology would be highly appreciated,
- Experience or interest in research involving the human person,
- Some fluency in the French language will be a plus for conducting tests on volunteers.
Candidates should be experienced in the use of at least some of the techniques mentioned. The scope of work can be tailored according to the candidate interests and skills.
We are looking for an autonomous, passionate and friendly person.
The position will be financed for two years with possible prolongation according to performance and grant application outcomes. The project will be conducted in the beautiful city of Paris, in the brand-new Institut de l’Audition which also may provide exciting career opportunities for young talented researchers. Interested candidates should submit a CV and cover letter mentioning a few referees who might provide a letter of recommendation.
Starting: December 2022 preferred
Gross salary: 35 800 €/y minimum, according to experience
Centre for Research and Innovation in Humans (CERIAH),
directed by Prof Paul Avan et Prof Hung Thai-Van.
Institut de l’Audition, 63 rue de Charenton, 75012 Paris, France.
Institut Pasteur, 209-211 Rue de Vaugirard, 75015 Paris, France.
Contact: Céline Quinsac (email@example.com)