A postdoctoral position is available for a self-motivated and curiosity-driven individual endowed with strong work ethic in the Group of Microbial Individuality and Infection.
Our junior group is located in the versatile and interdisciplinary campus of the Institut Pasteur in Paris. We are part of the Cell Biology & Infection Dept., and members of the consortium Lab of Excellence Integrative Biology of Emerging Infectious Diseases.
Following the discovery that Mycobacterium tuberculosis, causative agent of tuberculosis, displays substantial phenotypic heterogeneity (PMID:25543231), we strive to elucidate the underlying mechanisms and effects on bacterial fitness. Thanks to the combination of molecular microbiology, fluorescent reporter strains, real-time microscopy and custom-built microfluidic systems, we carry out multi-parametric analysis of the behaviour of single cells and subpopulations. Quantitative and predictive understanding of mycobacterial individuality, followed by the isolation of discrete subpopulations and downstream analysis will enable to study the mechanisms by which M. tuberculosis persists and establishes a successful long-term infection.
The postdoc will join our group to characterise the transcriptional and genetic profiles of mycobacterial subpopulations produced under stressful conditions, aiming to identify molecular mechanisms of adaptation. The position is available from January 2017 and the candidate will be asked to join the team as quickly as possible.
- Recent PhD degree in any area of Computational Life Sciences.
- Strong motivation to carry out interdisciplinary research.
- Expertise in several of the following areas: functional genomics, computational biology, molecular microbiology, flow cytometry, microscopy and image analysis.
- Prior experience with mycobacterial biology is not required but would be a plus.
- Good communication skills, excellent command of English, team spirit.
- Competitive publication record.
Application: Interested applicants are asked to send their complete CV, a brief summary of previous research activities, a statement of interest, and names of 3 referees with contact information, directly to the Lab Head Giulia Manina (firstname.lastname@example.org) not later than February 15th, 2016.